Location : Marseille
Creation date : 2019
Founder : Alex Caizergues
Sector : Economy of the sea / Smart Tech
Partners : risingSUD, EPA Euromediterranée, CCIMP, SATT Sud-Est, World Trade Center
Prizes won : 6 world speed records in kitesurf
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
Based in Marseille since 2019, Syroco is an innovation laboratory aimed at improving the efficiency of the players in the maritime transport and energy industry. Their breakthrough approach revolves around ‘Moonshot Challenges’, intended to crystallise a breakthrough research. The first of these challenges is to beat the absolute speed record on water as early as 2021.
Alex Caizergues, a french kitesurfer, is the first man in the world to have crossed the 100 km/h barrier on water with a sailing craft. His time, achieved on 12 October 2010 in Namibia, was officially approved at 54.10 knots (100.19 km/h). Since then, he has achieved two new world records in the Camargue, the most recent in 2017 at 57.98 knots (107.3 km/h).
- Series A Capital Investment (2020)
- Repayable advances, innovation aids
- Technological partnerships (universities, research labs, etc.)
- Funding requirement: EUR 5 to 6 million
- First seed money raised with Business Angels from the start-up world
- Creation of twenty jobs from 2020 in Marseille.
- Deployment of an innovation structure welcoming the finest engineers of major French and global groups in Marseille to develop the breakthrough innovation, thanks to a unique methodological approach.
Central location in the Mediterranean; international appeal of the project; wind, sun and sea conditions present in the lower Rhone Valley, particularly conducive to prototype testing and favourable for creating a record in the Mediterranean.
- Q3 2019: Ramping up of the laboratory
- Q1 2020: First prototypes of speed machines
- During the year 2021: Achieving the new world record