Solar energy for Lori
Location : Lori region, Armenia
Beginning of the project : 2020/2021
Leaders of the project : Armenian Fund of France
Sector : Renewable energy
Partners : Hayasdan Armenian Fund; Armenian-Swiss humanitarian foundation KASA
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The main goal of solar energy for Lori (ESL) is to equip public buildings of the region with photovoltaic panels (420 buildings: schools, town halls, cultural centres, etc.) in order to cover their electricity needs. ESL also includes a training component (installation of equipment by apprentices from a local technical college) and an educational component of raising awareness of sustainable development among the schoolchildren in the region.
LEADERS OF THE PROJECT
The Armenian Fund of France is a recognised NGO in public utility whose purpose is to build and renovate infrastructure essential to the socio-economic development of Armenia and Karabakh.
€824,400 (50% of the investment)
- Priority to schools
- Step 1: nursery and primary: €450K
- Step 2: schools, in coordination with the educational project: €750K
- Step 3: other administrative buildings: €800K
- Total cost: €2M
- Coverage of electricity needs of equipped structures and generation of additional financial resources.
- Work-study training for apprentices (the need for good-level technicians in electrical engineering is important).
- Raising children’s awareness of the issues of sustainable development and teaching them good practices in everyday life (education for sustainable development is not included in school curricula in Armenia)
- The savings generated by the self-consumption of green electricity and the sale of unused electricity will be additional resources for these structures which have very limited budgets, and this will contribute to their independence and to their accountability over the next thirty years.
- Development of solar energy production in Armenia
- Contribution to the reduction of greenhouse gases in the region (Armenia is a signatory of the Paris Agreement)
- Contribution to a diversified energy mix
- Development of the country’s solar industry.
2019: setting up the pilot project with the South Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur Region
2020: completion of studies and pre-projects; search for co-funding
2020 – 2021: completion of works