Location : Nice
Creation date : 2018
Founder : Enzo Giusti
Sector : Agri-food
Partners : INRIA, BPI, SOUTH Region, PACA EST Incubator, NCA Initiative
Prizes won : 2019 BA06 Event, 2018 Filidéchet, 2018 BGE Regional Talent
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
Pepino is an anti-waste mobile app that helps farmers find opportunities in short food supply chains for their non-standard products (production peaks, oversized, or damaged products). An algorithm alerts the links in the local food chain that can exploit the product before it is lost.
As a mining engineer, Enzo Giusti spent four years in London in an IT start-up before resigning in search of meaning and returning to France in 2016.
One day, he noticed at the grocery a crate of pears destined for the garbage because of imperfections. He thought of taking them to a juice bar, which immediately said it was happy to use them. This was the birth of the Pepino project.
- Funding requirement: approx. €500K over 15-18 months
- Goal: to support the national deployment, recruit, and reach new territories and new markets.
- Means: capital increase (investors), other forms of loans / repayable advances (BPI).
- 10 tons of recovered fruits and vegetables
- 5,000 subscribers, 35 sellers, and 30 active professional buyers
- Average transaction: €25
- Products are exploited within a radius of 30 km around the place of production
- Local exploitation of fruits and vegetables which are otherwise wasted
- Dynamism of the local economic ecosystem
- Generation of additional turnover for farmers: estimated at +10% per farmer and per year
- Facilitating short-circuit food access for individuals and professionals
Solution deployed in the Alpes-Maritimes since September 2018 with the ambition to expand to other departments in the SOUTHERN region, then nationally.
Target the main extra-territorial markets producing fruit and vegetables: Italy, Spain, Morocco, Tunisia
Preparation for the deployment of the solution in the rest of the SOUTHERN region then at the national level.
Identification of a sustainable logistics solution for the delivery of products from farmers to professional consumers, and development of a new version of the app to support this deployment.