Impact Invest – Promotion of Sustainable Investments in Africa
Location : North Africa and French-speaking Sub-Saharan Africa
Beginning of the project : May 2020
Leaders of the project : ANIMA Investment Network, RIAFPI, Business France
Sector : Investment promotion
Partners : Investment Promotion Agencies of Europe and the African continent, Union for the Mediterranean
DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
Our ambition: to support the 3rd and 4th generation of investment promotion policies in the Mediterranean and Africa: those that generate and support investments contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) for the continent.
The project has four objectives:
1) Provide the Mediterranean and Francophone African countries with sectoral strategies to attract investment and promote their impact
2) Develop the capacity of investment promotion agencies (IPAs) to promote investment projects related to the SDGs
3) Put in place targeted promotional actions with a view to obtaining initial successes in implementing virtuous investments
4) Strengthen the institutional and operational capacities of investment promotion agency networks across the African continent
LEADERS OF THE PROJECT
The ANIMA network is the largest cooperation network for the promotion of investments between Europe, Middle East and Africa.
RIAFPI is the network of French investment promotion agencies.
The funding requirements concern the organisation of training, the mobilisation of international expertise and the organisation of business forums. 10% of the total cost is provided by the project sponsors.
The funding requirement is € 3M
Total cost: € 3.3M
UNCTAD estimates that $ 3.9 billion is needed annually to meet sustainable development goals, of which only $ 1.4 billion will come from the public sector. Directing private investment towards SDGs is therefore an obligation for the planet.
Promoting virtuous investments necessitates a requirement, skills and tools that can only be achieved with regional and continental coordination. There is therefore an important work of capacity building and tools and institution networking to promote and support these investments.
The 4G Invest project is transnational in essence since it covers 29 Mediterranean countries in French-speaking Africa. It is implemented by two networks present in all these countries. The impact throughout this region is as follows:
- The creation of a sustainable investment promotion network for all 29 associated countries
- Development of pilot strategies to promote value-added FDI linked to the SDGs in 10 countries;
- Development of specialised skills in 29 national investment promotion agencies and 100 territorial agencies
- Linking associated countries with several hundred virtuous project investors.
3.5 year project implemented over the period 2020 – 2023